Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Word to the Wise (Or Note to Self?)

Hi Everyone...

As one of Dr. Ross's newest entries states, notation software is a problem for some. I am one of the some. I have never felt a need to purchase a software program before for the bit and pieces of composing I've done. Just now I have finished off my second piece (hand written I might add). All I have is the 2008 version of Finale Notepad. Well folks... it is what it is. Its free. Therefore it is extremely limiting. So this is why I had to hand write this character piece. It was just too complicated for poor old Finale Notepad to handle. And here is where my advise comes in: check over your hand written work. BEFORE you print off eight copies. Computers catch our mistakes. So its a lot harder to see them with our own eye.

(I hope you don't mind) To save myself time I changed the meter of a couple of measures. Keeping in mind what Dr. Ross said about my first draft of my first character piece "sometimes mistakes can make your piece better." In the name of composition, I will hope that everyone finds that these mistakes make my second piece sound better, and not think that the mistakes are there because of my sloth.

-Melissa

PS: This week I thought I would respond to the comments I received in class. So stay tuned for another blog entry soon!

3 comments:

Robbie b said...

I find computer software is such a hassle to get used to at first. I find I'm spending at least twice as long on the software than I would be writing it out, and even then I still haven't figured out how to put dynamics in mine! yikes!
What kind of computer are you using? I might be able to hook you up with a copy of sybelius if you are interested!

Unknown said...

Yeah, I know what you mean (even though I've only used finale notepad). Its something you have to use a lot to get used to. Which I don't do.

I have a mac :S (running OS X)! If you have a copy for mac that would be amazing!

Clark Ross said...

I realize that my comment is so late (i.e., about 6 weeks after the comments above!) that you may not see this, but I just wanted to chime in and say that (a) I totally can relate to the frustrations of trying to learn a new notation software programme (it's an inspiration killer!), but (b) I really think it's important to persevere anyway, because, it can really help the composition process PLUS make your scores look more professional, once you reach a point of being comfortable with the programme.